PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2013, 13:33
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Milo
by the time the 'B' retires, and probably for a good period before that, carrier aviation as you know it will be impossible due to the rise of precision guided ballistic munitions.
An interesting statement and perhaps we should let our American allies know about that as they are building a number of the new class of carrier that will replace their Nimitz fleet.

If there is one thing that is a certainty, it is the fact that we have had no luck in predicting what will happen next week, next month, or next year. Having said that I very much doubt we will engage in any type of total war against any first world nation (touching wood as I type)

The conventional carrier is still an excellent weapon for projecting a nations power, but will it in twenty years or fifty years time? The USA is still going ahead with their latest class of carrier. Here in the UK we have lost this expertise and most folks only look at the carrier as an advanced airfield whereas the USA look at this unit as being their 'spokesperson' that lets folks know they mean business.

I totally accept we are having the B variant but if the RAF were asked what aircraft would they opt for if they had to only have one type of fast jet for both air and ground operations, what aircraft would they choose and why?

I am still baffled as to why the very first drawing for our carriers were not for conventional ships. It is ironic that retired First Sea Lord's are now complaining about this but when in a position to voice an opinion they allegedly ducked behind the parapets and kept quiet.