PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2013, 12:12
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eaglemmoomin
Combat UAV's are decades off being actually useful. Anyone that honestly thinks otherwise is fooling themselves. Personally I think it'll be a long road full of cock ups and issues. Getting a 'simple' surveillance UAV that stays up for a few hours and flys defined racetracks with it's sensors being preset reliably and consistently is still a massive technical effort and the UK, France, Europe isn't really quite there yet. So CUAVs nah, simple demonstrator maybe. Something that will actually be able to replace a Tornado, Typhoon, F35 and the simplest tasks they are asked to do in the next 20 to 25 years hmmmmmm.
Hi,
I understand what you are saying and I agree these aircraft are a way off but they are possibly the next stage in carrier aircraft??

Link

They have already been launched the X-47B via catapult but from what I read they did have similar tail-hook issues which were comparable to the F-35C but hopefully this has now been resolved.

The sad thing is that we have NO capability to operate this type of aircraft and once the 'B' retires that is it.