PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parachute Mishap on East Coast
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2003, 12:31
Islander Jock

I don't want to be the best pilot in the world - Just the oldest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

A quick shot of the step on tonights news showed a rectangular piece of metal totally different to the usual Cessna type step with rounded edges and non slip surface. Unless it was just the mounting plate with the step removed?? Perhaps a shonky retro job for students to be able to step out onto the strut easier. A couple of the 182s I flew for skydivers had an excellent platform built over the wheel and fixed at the axle and wheel strut which gave a solid base for the student and even the instructor to have a good foot hold.

I remember we usually carried a dirty big 'T' handled hook knife in the pouch by the RH door exactly for this possibility. In fact, it was more of a hangover from the static line days where the instructor would cut lose a static line in the event of the jumper becoming hung up. Never had to think about using it but this instance just goes to prove that it might only be a 1:1,000,000 possiblity but it still can happen.

Often thought about my options if a similar thing happened out the back of the BN2 with me a good 10 or more feet away and before anyone asks - NO it didn't have an autopilot. I was lucky for it to have a serviceable radio most of the time.

In this instance though, a teriffic job by the pilot!