PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus - 6
Thread: Aer Lingus - 6
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2013, 02:30
Jamie2k9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You sure about that? It's a good USP for EI, you imply that they're not marketing it properly.

Also bear in mind that only a few USA destinations are available from DUB
Have they ever marketed it a lot, you don't know about it until you search the website in detail.

No Boston services clear in the summer, and either does 7 of the 11 ORD service. EI are far from happy with it at the minute.

Comprehensive frequent flyer programs and worldwide louge access? A First Class product on competing US routes? Codeshares and co-operation within Oneworld? Larger more modern aircraft with the B777-300ER already in service and the A388 and B788 arriving this week? LHR-JFK is competitive with Aer Lingus as the high yield front end subsidises the back end to maintain frequency. I know you work close to them Jamie but some balance please.

Aer Lingus long haul is nice little niche, they're not and cannot hope to be a major player. I'm old enough to remember EXACTLY all of this being said when the B737s and BAC111s were retired and the B747s were replaced with A330s. They would be fed by a fleet of Fokker 50s to build a transatlantic hub. In 1991. Here we are 22 years later and EI now have a whole seven long haul aircraft and still only five (vs BA at 18 LHR + 3 LGW to the US) destinations, one of which is literally Mickey Mouse. I love Aer Lingus and am impressed at how they've survived living at the home of Ryanair but call a spade a spade, not a professional, precision digging implement.
Will agree that EI Gold Circle is very bad, its a niche market that can be grown a lot. It hurts BA more than most carriers and this will continue and BA would do anything to stop it if they could.

btw What's the deal with EI-FCC, the semi naked and leased A320? Didn't Aer Lingus return some A320s off lease just recently?
Its not in full colors because its leaving for another airline in October, they returned one aircraft and this is to cover any tech issues.