PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing Commander Spry
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2013, 19:08
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Wg Cdr Spry

Sorry, I should have made myself clearer.
I appreciate you are not the MAA. I firmly believe the MAA has approached their task from the wrong angle, simply because it is an embarrassment to admit what the real problem is. The result is, from what I read here because I no longer have any direct contact, that Front Line has borne the brunt of this change for the sake of change.

The root problem is crystal clear. It was not at Front Line. It was at 3 Star level in the RAF and 2 Star level in MoD(PE). The former caused the waste that forced the “savings at the expense of safety”. That latter was complicit, supported by our 4 Star (where, I believe, Haddon-Cave’s rather cutting comment about submariners managing aviation came from).

I have had the opportunity to speak to senior MAA figures and I can tell you there was not an iota of understanding of the difference between airworthiness and fitness for purpose, or that airworthiness facilitates serviceability. They had no idea how to (a) attain airworthiness (which is almost entirely invisible to Front Line) or (b) maintain airworthiness (which is largely invisible to Front Line, especially since the regulations governing aforesaid Build Standard were dumped).

How many in the MAA have direct experience of the area where the root problem is? There are plenty with Front Line experience, but few with attaining and maintaining Airworthiness. And we already know from evidence at one inquest that staffs are no longer taught how to attain and maintain fitness for purpose. I just feel you are being inundated with a raft of ingenious solutions to non-existent problems, while the real problems are ignored to protect the guilty.