PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EUROPA XS vs VANS RV6/9
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2003, 08:36
Rod1

Word of warning on the statistics mentioned above. The vast majority of bent Europas are the Mono version. The ones you see for sale are Classic mono / tri and XS mono. Finding an XS Tri is virtually impossible and carries a huge premium. This is the only version I would consider.

As to cost, I have no hangar available, so I needed to de rig or keep the aircraft outside. Having kept aircraft outside for many years I find it costs a lot of money, so the trailer option, in my case, was essential. The cost of operation will depend which engine you use in the RV.

I spoke to Vans about five months ago about Avtour power. I got the answer that they sold 98% of there aircraft in the US and there was no interest in Avtour power in the US. Because of this there were no plans to produce any factory-supported bits. Some of the engine manufacturers are producing firewall forward kits, but non-are flying, at least none in the UK. If you go for an avgas engine the Europa will be much cheaper on fuel with its Rotax 912S using about 17lph at about 125-130k.

Both aircraft are a lot of work.

Have a look at http://www.avnet.co.uk/touchdown/. Almost no Wet layup and much less time till you fly. I have the Club version, but only at the very beginning of the build.

All these aircraft are really good to fly compared with Mr. P and C.

Rod