PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Pension Calculator
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2013, 15:39
The_Agent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
disappointed, to say the least

I am 33, and intend to take my option and leave at 38 under AFPS 75.

Thanks to the new pension, my commuted lump sum is about £10k less, and I will receive about £2k pa less on my immediate pension. I won't qualify for any EDP.

Adding up all the numbers between age 38 and age 70, I have calculated that I will receive £70k less in that period.

What annoys me is that this is, essentially, welshing on the contract I entered into with the RAF when I joined in 2001. My side of the contract remains unaltered, though.

Having recently accepted a new post, I am on a 3 year RoS, so I can't even vote with my feet. In fact, there's nothing stopping the RAF from deciding not to pay me anything for the next few years - and there is nothing I can do about it.

Anyone on a RoS in 2015 is being entered into a new contract without consultation. In the civilian world, a change to employment contract would involve terminating the old contract and all parties signing a new one.

My point: if you are going to move the goal posts, allow me the option of leaving. It seems morally bankrupt to adjust one side of the contract (pay) without concession to the other. The moral thing to do here would be the same as AFPS05 - put all new recruits on it and give people the option to switch to it.

The push/pull factors are changing all the time.