PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Keeping gliding options open from 2015
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2013, 13:04
Thoughtful_Flyer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes you can, with the appropriate PPL or NPPL. It's no different to flying any other aircraft from a farm strip.
I realise that. What I was referring to was that, at the moment, you could fly a glider legally with no qualifications whatsoever providing it was not self launching. Anyway, that is not relevant in my case.

ps. you can get an EASA medical from your GP - advice here.
Thanks, I have read the CAA info before. However because of a past medical problem I would have to see a CAA medical examiner and not just my GP. I would not expect a problem but it will increase the cost.

As it turns out, the club CFI, chairman & secretary can all act as certifiers for the conversion. I suggest that you make an appointment to meet up with one of these at your nearest club, explain your predicament & ask if it is worth your while getting an EASA medical, ie if you get a medical, would they be prepared to sign your documents?
That is helpful, thank you. Obviously it would be easier if one of them was at the club during my time and remembers me but presumably they still have the club logs? Actually, having checked, it is 13 to 15 years ago - time flies if if I currently don't!