PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2013, 10:26
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
Latina est langua mortuus quam mortissime!

Latin Translation Paper 1

TRANSLATE THE FOLLOWING:

These words having been said however, notwithstanding the having been positioned mouse destruction engine, because of these things the dog was by the object bitten.

On my time on 56(F), we had an outbreak of mousetrap mayhem. We'd spotted a couple of mice in their best field grey watching a parade - they were seen scurrying into the crewroom. So 'Traps, mouse....Qty several' were acquired....

Our USN Exchange Officer decided to hide the wretched things in unexpected places, such as under a tea towel casually placed on the coffee bar, or just inside a box of crisp bags. For several days, the sounds of "Thwack....Ow! You bŁoody Yank!" were heard.

But slowly, I watched and made my plan. Noting his habit of reaching up to grab his USN bonedome from the rack without looking, I carefully placed the trap...and waited. Sure enough, he was soon hoist by his own petard..or rather, mousetrap.

Later on another squadron, we had a pompous Flt Cdr who liked to sprinkle his pithy memos with pseudo-legal Latin clauses such as 'inter alia' and 'sub rosa'. So I took much delight in replying with a few invented Latin clauses of my own such as 'his verbis dictis, autem' and 'ob has causas'. That kept him at bay - but no doubt delayed my promotion by quite a few years!