PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - (FSS) Flying Selection Squadron
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2013, 21:34
kintyred

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went through FSS in December 83 and somehow got the thumbs up. I recall climbing to 5000' on one sortie and managed to knock the vent in the canopy roof wide open just as we reached the top of climb. My poor instructor in the boot couldn't close it and we had to return to earth before he froze to death. I got an extra 20 minutes free flying as a result, such was the scintillating climb performance of the Chippie!
I also recall Merv Astle giving up his "M3" lecture. Money, Money, Money! which informed us how to prise the maximum cash out of the blunties. I seem to remember it invovled marrying some old dear who lived at least 200 miles away so that one could claim additional travel warrants, free messing and had the extra benefit of providing us young bucks with an excuse for swerving the inevitable pressure to marry our current girlfriends! I can now report that next week I celebrate 25 years of happy marriage to my then girlfriend! Nevertheless thanks for all your invaluable advice Merv, I hope that somewhere someone like you is still passing on their experience to the next generation.