PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tour De France TV Helicopters.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2013, 15:14
500 Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tour De France TV Helicopters.

With the Tour De France under way, I thought this article might interest those here who follow this great race. Team Sky's Chris Froome is the red hot favourite to win this year's race, picking up where Bradley Wiggins left off last year.

Le Tour de France vu du ciel : Les hélicoptères de prise de vue et relais | Media un autre regard

It is interesting to see that the camera equipment is stripped from the Twin Squirrel and is transferred onto a B3 Ecureuil for use in the mountain stages in the Alps and Pyrennes.

Has anyone ever done this type of flying, covering a cycle race for TV? I'd guess there is "standard" TV work and then there is something like this, which requires a slightly different approach. I am a cycling fan and watch this sport throughout the year. It is very interesting to see how much time the TV helicopters spend in the avoid curve and, literally, down in the fields that run parallel to the race route. The majority of helicopters used for this work are usually Twin Squirrels with the MD902 employed in Switzerland.

500 Fan.