PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oh look, my favourite subject. Maintenance Standards.
Old 3rd Mar 2003, 01:43
airsupport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

pullocks,

Very interesting point you made, you have convinced me.

Quote:-

None the less, I can see that the requirement for a LAME to do the walkaround could well do with some reform, it's a gumby job and need not have a highly paid LAME do it - anyone with airframe experience can follow the simple instructions laid out in a pre flight inspection, particularly if they have received training to that end.

Endquote.

Okay, NO LAMEs on tarmac, as you point out, what a waste of money and anyone that can follow a few simple instructions could do it.

Now we have fixed that, what about the flight crew?

Aircraft have already been designed to fly with NO Pilots at all, and IF you must have Pilots on board, just about anyone that can follow a few simple instructions could fly a modern Aircraft, especially with triple autopilots and all the nav aids.

So why on Earth are we paying not one, but TWO, supposedly highly intelligent, highly trained and highly paid people to carry out a function that is hardly needed, at best ONLY when something goes wrong?

Surely we could do away with one of them.