PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Drinking Culture in the RAF – Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow.
Old 3rd Jul 2013, 11:13
FAStoat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I spent some years being trained to out drink the Crabs.At Greenham one year it was decided to send out a Recce for a Red Sparrow Hunt.The Crimson Crabs were no longer in the same Hotac as the rest of us,after trying to win a Cocktail Competition previously.The Recce party duly returned having found same with their Red MGBGTs(Courtesy of BMC)parked in formation on the pan outside their lodgings.Armed with masking tape,mackerels and herrings,potatoes,the Boss led us to spike them!The deed was done and the results were expected at Briefing the following AM.Absolutely nothing was mentioned,except a challenge in the OC later after the Display,together with a few of the Yanks who were up for it.Happy days,and the mention of the Port in the North,brought further memories of later Airline flying when forced to go to the "Runway" for steak and chips ,and heavies, to find an entire Bar full of Chopper Pukes partying the night away.I thought I had left that behind in the ACN Crew Room flying for "Big Oggas",a few years before.I think we all worked hard,and so played hard.
Memories are also aroused of the Late John Blake,who was an excellent raconteur and drinker.At one Farnborough,at the Queens Hotel,we had drunk all the Beer,when John appeared with a gigantic Silver Salvour,into which he poured Champers and Guiness,with which the night passed into obscurity.I could not stand Black Velvet after that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Only other memory was the Philosan Four won the Formation Aerobatic Trophy,or was that at Greenham!!!!!!!?

Last edited by FAStoat; 3rd Jul 2013 at 11:20.