PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sharky Watch LIVE
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2013, 09:22
SpazSinbad

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
'PhilipG' focus on 'fake' all you wish. I do not resile because to my knowledge the point about SRVL being an option has been well made on various threads throughout this forum but I will repeat it here. IF a pilot is not up to an SRVL for whatever reason then that pilot will dump fuel/ordnance to carry out a VL. End of story. Much better to sacrifice the weapons/fuel to save the aircraft/pilot. No?

Whatever your point is - IF SRVLs are deemed to be useful then of course firstly they will be practiced/tested ashore by relevant test pilots before anyone gets near CVFs to carry out any SRVL. This is a given in carrier aviation. However it is been said many times now also on this forum that the F-35B/C are going to be much easier to carrier deck land in all the forms due to the computer flight controls making such VLs/SRVLs that much more doable under adverse conditions. No carrier pilots gets near the carrier without demonstrating their skill ashore first.

So I hope the timeline of events is clear. First testing ashore (ongoing) then testing at sea before any new pilots get to do carrier landings after first demonstrating their skill. These requirements are clear to any carrier pilot. Flunk FCLP or VLs or SRVLs and you are not going to the ship.