PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scheduled and Actual times
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2013, 07:29
jackharr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scheduled and Actual times

Published timetables are blocks to blocks, eg LGW dep 0510, AMS arr 0625 UTC (but given in local times for the public’s benefit).

Now if A/C leaves stand at 0510, it is considered to be “on time”. That’s fine. But if it touches down at say 0620, the arrival on the displays (and nowadays, available on line) is given as “5 minutes early”. Now at somewhere like AMS, the time to taxy in after a landing on 18R might be as much as 15 minutes so the aircraft arrives on the stand 10 minutes behind the scheduled time.

This practice of quoting departure time as being when the aircraft starts to taxy but quoting arrival time as when the aircraft touches down is inconsistent. I presume the airlines like this as are perceived as achieving a higher percentage of on-time departures and arrivals this way.

I raised this matter when I was flying 20 years ago but got no response other than “that is the way it is”. I am currently following my son’s line training and am disappointed that this, frankly dishonest, practice is still used.