PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRISTOL - 4
Thread: BRISTOL - 4
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2013, 15:48
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks again B_T.

I hadn't noticed. My wife and I flew to Glasgow in March with easyJet for around £45 each 'return' (we are able to book weeks in advance which usually helps) which I think is incredible value considering the pre-low cost airline days at BRS meant a return to Scotland cost over £200 (which would be more these days having regard to inflation in the intervening years). The first time I used a low cost airline from BRS was in 2002 to EDI with Go at £40 there and back - couldn't believe it at the time!

We used EI Regional to Cork and back last week and the return fare was over £100 each so if this included an extra three or four quid in increased passenger charges it didn't really signify and, anyway, I always look at the total fare and rarely bother looking at the breakdown. There seemed to be no empty seats on the ATR 72 on the return to BRS on Saturday and only a handful on the Tuesday outbound to ORK.

Thus far there seems to be no adverse effect on passenger numbers. BRU passenger numbers are up 13%, 38% and 26% respectively in March, April and May, and AMS is up 3%, 7% and 10% in the same period. In the first five months of this year overall passenger numbers at the airport are up 2.48% using CAA stats.

So it doesn't look as though there is currently a rush down the M5 for cheaper flights.

Verona is a charter operated by bmi regional on behalf of Inghams. In recent years they took seats on the TUI service to Verona which operates for that group this year by a Mistral Air B 737-400 giving two Saturday flights to VRN.

regional also operates a Sunday service to Bastia for Corsican Places. In addition to its Airbus corporate shuttle work I've noticed that regional crops up operating presumably one-off ad hoc rotations from/to BRS to various destination over and above its football/rugby weekend charter work in the season.

I've heard very good reports of its product with Welshtraveller's remarks another confirmation. Must try to persuade Mrs MV that we should sample it ourselves.

Last edited by MerchantVenturer; 3rd Jul 2013 at 11:11. Reason: typo