PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Future Air War
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2013, 12:14
TomJoad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Q-RTF-X
Machines have been killing people for a long time i.e. machine gun; only the form of human interface has and been and still is a constantly evolving process. Somewhere along the line, there will always be somebody pressing a button in some form or another, perhaps by default i.e. person or persons who had the capability to pull the plug did not. Somebody has to carry the can.
Sorry Q, I was stressing "fully autonomous" no man in the loop. Protocols for rules of engagement followed and acted upon by AI capability. Technically a machine taking the decision. Of course not here yet but this is where the technology is heading. The UN is already considering the implication of their potential future use:

"The United Nations Human Rights Council has heard an appeal for a freeze on the development and use of killer robots.

The lethal autonomous robots (LARs) are pre-programmed to kill or destroy and, unlike drones, are not controlled by humans once on the battlefield.

Key points

Lethal autonomous robots are pre-programmed to kill
Can make their own decisions and do not need to be controlled by humans
Supporters say they could save soldiers' lives
Human rights groups want a complete ban
The technology is being developed in the United States, Britain and Israel, although none have actually used it yet.
"

link to article here UN panel hears appeal for freeze on use of lethal autonomous robots - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Last edited by TomJoad; 2nd Jul 2013 at 12:27.