PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MP's Pay
Thread: MP's Pay
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2013, 22:43
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
What a fine idea, I think a dose of dormitory living whilst in London, would also ensure none of them made heaps of money at our expense.
Well it's funny you should mention that. I do believe the Old War Office Building on Whitehall is soon to be put up for sale, the general consensus being it will be sold to a property developer who will either turn it into a hotel or some very very expensive apartments.

Given the money we've just saved from the recent spending review, could we just keep OWOB (seeing as we already own it and therefore don't have to spend money on buying somewhere new), spend some of the savings on renovating the place (I will admit that it's looking rather tired inside, and I'd hate for anyone with a position of some responsibility to have to live in sub-standard accommodation) and put the MPs in there when they are in Town? The last time I was in there, I think it had something like over 1,000 rooms and several miles of corridors, so plenty of space for 600-odd MPs once the refurb has taken place and it's just round the corner from the Commons and a lot of the other Departments.

If it was secure enough for the Army and later the MOD, then surely it is secure enough to house MPs. The refurb costs would more than likely be off-set by the taxes generated from the companies involved in the project along with the longer term savings from allowances, second homes etc etc etc. You know, I might just write to my MP and suggest it. May even stick in a Gems bid too!

Last edited by Melchett01; 1st Jul 2013 at 22:44.