PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paul Hancock, Elstree 1976
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2013, 19:41
dh man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
squat-thrust

Hi squate-thrust.
This may not help very much as your .work-mate. may already have given you this information,but just in case here's what I know. I was a contemporary of Paul Hancock. We were fellow colour retouching apprentices in the photogravure printing trade. I had attempted the Flying Scholarship at Elstree in 1959. I was 19 years old and such was the thrill I got out of flying the dh Chipmunk I rather bored everyone at work with my stories! But Paul took it all on board and started to learn to fly at his own expense. I left the printing industry and subsequently learned that Paul had qualified as a flying instructor at Elstree.
Then came tragic news - which I have not verified - He was conducting a flying lesson over Hertfordshire countryside when the pupil took charge of the flying controls and put the plane into a dive which in spite of Paul's best efforts he could not overcome. The aircraft dived into the ground killing Paul and the pupil. Paul lived at Carpenters Park Bushey Herts I believe and was the apple of his mother'e eye. To say his parents were distraught is an understatement.