PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Questions about visual separation
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2013, 15:50
Spitfire01234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about visual separation

Hey there,
I'm trying to understand the method of visual separation for arrivals and departures. Unfortunately, with the help of the official guidelines, I don't really get in. Maybe you can give me some hints. I have some questions, some of them might sound a little confusing:

- Under what conditions (just VMC?) visual separation might be applied? Is it the usual case to use it in good weather?

- Is there a minimum separation between two arrivals/departures using visual separation (except the consideration of the runway occupancy times)? In the case of visual separation, radar and wake turbulance separation don't have to be maintained?

- I have a pretty special question about a concrete example: I read the survey dealing about the expansion of Airport Frankfurt some years ago. There they assumed vortex separation in the crossing point of the flight path of an arrival on RWY 07R and a following departure on RWY 18. Does visual separation has any influence on this separation? Or does it just affect the separation between two aircrafts on the same runway?

Many thanks!