PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yemenia A-310 accident 2009 report
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2013, 11:51
Callsign Kilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not directing comment at anyone here however a visual approach in an large jet airliner has jack all to do with the PF displaying his or her exemplary stick and rudder skills. Yes there is an element of manual flying, however like a circle to land (a visual manoeuvre initiated after an an instrument approach) this usually only occurs when turning base to final or on short final. It not a procedure which requires zero automation, contrary to the 'Sabena method' as it was once touted by a few trainers in my airline.

As M.Mouse suggests, the automation, used accurately and to effect, eases workload, increases situational awareness and allows a far from everyday occurrence to be a more relaxed procedure for both pilots. 9/10 it will follow what is briefed rather than having the PM working like a one armed coat hangar whilst his PF is maxed out manually flying a procedure that he may only handle a couple of times in a year.

The biggest thing that stuffs people up is the aircrafts inertia. Some brains cannot keep up with this hulk of aluminium, flesh and fuel as it is being poled round the sky, especially when a more taxing, less common manoeuvre is being flown. I'm not advocating the fact that we shouldn't fly manually but I am making the point that where these approaches go wrong is when people don't have a clear plan, don't appreciate the position of their PF and completely misinterpret the performance of their aircraft and their own capabilities within it.

I'm being prepared to be shot down by the hand flying purists who see differently.

Last edited by Callsign Kilo; 1st Jul 2013 at 11:54.