PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEATHROW
Thread: HEATHROW
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2013, 10:26
anothertyke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
public transport at heathrow

Fairdeal

I don't see how without spending an ocean of public money public transport at Heathrow can be 'ultra-reliable'. Via Feltham, via Piccadilly Line, via Paddington all have their downsides. Major improvements are required but people will always have to leave a safety margin. Like everyone, I have sweated on stationary trains (not) going to the airport in various cities, it comes with the territory. Once you are committed, if something goes seriously wrong you are stuck.

I do agree with you re the western rail chord though. Even one an hour to Birmingham for the next twelve years and after HS2 one an hour to Bristol would make a big difference and I have been told the timetable and layout at Heathrow allow for that. Bizarre not to have done that.

Could I ask you and DaveReid in particular as knowledgeable people. Suppose that Boris's Island is a non-starter and suppose that in the end the politics is just too difficult or if you prefer the next Govt is just too feeble at Heathrow. What is Plan B? Would a second runway at Gatwick and send one of the alliances there en masse, ie split the hub, be remotely conceivable?