PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USB unresponsive - help!
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2013, 01:17
aspac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USB unresponsive - help!

Good morning!
I have no computer problems with either the desktop or laptop, both used for work. But Mrs Aspac suggested, on a recent trip, that - since I don't take the laptop with me (one more item to lose or have stolen) - I spend too much time in Internet cafes to check e-mails. Far better, she advised, to invest in a tablet computer and use wi-fi from hotel rooms. I bought an Asus Tranformer because the optional detachable keyboard doubles as a protective cover. The device now looks rather like a "netbook" computer. What's more, being a dinosaur, I use a mouse. (An adaptor turns one USB port into three ) Everything I need works beautifully - and in the same way with or without the adaptor EXCEPT:

In a remote location with no wi-fi, I decided to watch a movie on a thumb drive (or memory stick; anyway, it's the little gadget you plug into a USB port). But the Asus Transformer wouldn't recognise it. My daughter told me this was because I had to download a media player called VLC (its icon is a witches' hat). I followed her advice, did so - and now I watch movies whenever I want since VLC detects any film-type files. Problem solved - in part.

In one context my difficulties persist. There's still no indication the Asus Transformer recognises non-movie thumb drives in the USB port. I have about a half-dozen of these - a mix of Word documents and JPG pictures (sometimes on the same stick). My daughter suggested I insert the drives into the USB before switching on/booting up and then go to Polaris (the Asus inbuilt word-processing system). I did so but Polaris didn't prompt me to click on anything. One of the thumb drives has a light which comes on after it is inserted into the USB port - so it must somehow be being recognised.

None of this is urgent - since other computers have read the thumb drives easily - but it's an irritant. It seems to me that there's something terribly simple that I'm not doing that I should be doing.

Hope someone has a useful tip!