PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Drinking Culture in the RAF – Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow.
Old 30th Jun 2013, 20:58
NRU74

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I was a tad reluctant to contribute to this thread...but..after a few beers it's a subject I know something about...
I look back in horror at my time in the RAF in the sixties and seventies when (very) heavy drinking and flying took place
'Basil' mentions Istres - we didn't just drink the wine en route to Malta/Idris/El Adem- we went in the bar first and had a couple of beers before having the wine.On the same (transport) squadron I once remember Ops phoning the pub and asking us (Friday lunchtime after 4 pints) if we'd mind going back to the squadron to do an Air Test.The main problem was -could we do the Air Test and land in time for 5pm Happy Hour.
Again, on Tankers, I remember arriving late in Akrotiri one Friday night and having do an early slot on an exercise because of crew sickness etc -we carried the plotter-who was so pi$$ed from the previous night- up the ladder and strapped him in before going to flight planning etc.
We were young,with young livers,and occasionally I and others stayed up all night before the next leg-but as I approach 70,i'm pleased and somewhat surprised I'm in such (relatively) good nick
I could go on, but I think that many who were on Transports and V Force will recognise (with hindsight) just how heavy the drinking culture was.