PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Drinking Culture in the RAF – Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow.
Old 30th Jun 2013, 20:08
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
In 1964 the bar at Finningley was pale cream woodwork, blue velvet seating and very subdued lighting a la USAF Clubs. I remember one liquid lunch when on the ground school. I think we had a late-PM start and I certainly had a glass or 4 of sherbet. Poured out of the bar at 2 it was a rude awakening finding bright sunshine rather than a starlite sky.

The anti-drink culture started when Craig was CAS and went from there. I remember my boss, slops at ISK, coming back well the worse for wear and sitting in his office until tea time when he sobered up a little to do some work. It seemed his problem had started during a tour on 203 and resumed when he couldn't cope with the demands of his new job. I think it was well overdue.

There was a drinking culture at ISK with Crownex and Stablex etc but only after an early stack. With about a 100 aircrew there were also plenty of barrels on Friday nights and post-flight officers and knockers would repair to scruffs bars for individual debriefs.

There was still a culture at ISL but by now more restrained to post-flight debriefs. I recall one such debrief where it was deemed inappropriate to go home after a couple of beers and wake the wife (at 4am) so we carried on through to breakfast. I have no recollection of how or when I got home 30 miles away.

By the 90s, with more people living off base and at some distance from the station even dining-in nights could be dry affairs for some.