PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways to relax rules on electronic devices
Old 30th Jun 2013, 14:11
lucavigg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you'll find that the ability to use a mobile phone in the final stages of approach, landing, rollout and taxi has been available to anyone of Italian origin for many years.

You have to put your phone down for the obligatory round of applause after touchdown.

I myself am Italian but I have never been tempted to participate. It's not unusual to hear phones being switched on and the standard "Welcome to ...." SMS being received accompanied by a loud messaging alert. I have never seen Cabin Crew telling any of them to switch off their devices.

The facts surrounding use of electronic devices on a plane are a bit like religion. There are those who believe passionately and others who couldn't care.

The reason I don't use an electronic device at certain times is because I am told not to by the people who own the plane.

The most valid argument against device usage at critical points in the flight was told to me by a Purser on a BA flight. It's a question of distraction from the possibility of being told to do something that might save your life and others.
This is why the CAA have allowed it only after the A/C has left the runway.

Luca