PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uniform Prices
Thread: Uniform Prices
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2013, 10:30
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
TTN, I am surprised it lasted that long. My initial issue trousers wore out half way through initial training. As it happens I was picked up to do a visit to my old school as ADC to Sir Gus Walker. I took a few minutes out to visit the old SSI and swap my old pair for a new pair.

Not long after that we all got our Barathea No 2s which lasted a good few years as after training I got a V-force zuit suit.

PS,

Back on the OP, I remember the initial issue of black socks. Two pairs of practically indestructible heavy duty ones and two pairs of lighter ones for use with shoes. The lightweight ones were, I think, about 1951 vintage and 10 years old. Holding the grip top firmly and pulling them on the top simply parted from the sock.

I had to buy some new ones from my clothing allowance. These were a nylon mix and I still have one pair, now vintage, that are still near perfect except for one hole in the upper part. I shall be putting them on eBay in 2021, their 50th birthday. [I just sold my grandfather's toiletry case on eBay even though it was falling to bits].

Last edited by Pontius Navigator; 30th Jun 2013 at 10:43.