PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun, Botswana. The essential guide.
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2013, 22:16
lilflyboy262...2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For VC10... haha ok, work through those one at a time.

Average sector: Depends on you. 500ft was common early in the morning or late in the afternoon once the turbulence died down.
I liked to give my passengers a scenic flight out there because there are thousands of animals to look at!
Over the desert areas I was usually flying between 6000-9000ft AGL on the longer legs to stay above the bumps.

Scraping the vegetation... Not often. I had one instance of finding some reeds in the brakes. That was from landing though, not take-off...

No NDBs out there. I only used the ADF to tune into BBC World for the nice long legs. Was the top 20 on sundays.
There is a VOR at Maun and Kasane, they do want you to report crossing some radials for separation from inbound IFR flights. But that's about it. The DME can be a bit unreliable.
We had to do 50hrs flying with a senior pilot to learn where all the landmarks are and your check ride is done without the GPS to show you can find your way around without it.

There is no lights out at the strips, but there is lights at Maun. Kasane Airport closes at a certain time from memory.
No night flying though. If you are going to be late back, it will mean an unscheduled stopover at a camp for the night...not a bad thing.

We do hot turn-arounds on the Caravans due to engine start cycles. Average day is 8-10 legs. Will soon chew through the cycles before the engine has to be overhauled.

No encounters with lions thankfully... Got close enough to them in a car...

As for Kikofc... I'm sorry mate, I'm not in town anymore so can't tell you. I still believe turning up there and talking to the people is the best option.
Although, I spent a year in Canada... there is a lot of opportunities there. I would put a hunk of that money into a road trip across Canada and look there.
Chuck bags for half a year or so.
A lot of companies out there!