PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 11
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2013, 08:48
roulishollandais

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cats don't do dogs

Originally Posted by bubbers44
Pilots need to know how to read checklists and also handfly the plane. They just can't do one. We have seen some accidents recently that show how important airmanship is and not just being a checklist reader as previously said
Originally Posted by ATCWatcher Rumour and News, AF does a 'Memmingen' #144
Regarding cultures , or better said, cultural background : Fact is that the "latin " approach to Team work is totally different than . say the Asian one, jut to take an example. CRM principles were initially designed by and for anglo-saxons , where respect for authority is average but adherence to rules strong. It does not fit all cultures unfortunately, and as we know changing a culture is not easy. Changing a latin culture into anango saxon one has been tried before. Results were mixed to say the least.

I fly regularly in jump seats with a large airline whose policy is: if any crew member say " Go around" the PF must ( and will) go around first , and ask (or debate) why afterwards. This simple rule seem to be difficult to transpose into other airlines whose main culture is totally different
SOP and Check-lists look like written in context-free language, smell like context-free, have colour of context-free, but are NOT CONTEXT-FREE, will never be context-free, and translated in automation algorithms would get hidden bugs too.
Edit Add :
That does not mean don't use check lists and SOP, but don't be blind in using them. They are not perfect, sometimes missing.
I remember in my airline flying MD83 :
1. We had a long never trained emergency procedure in case of physical loss of an engine (rupture) . The check-list was more than one page. The first page finished with "continue page 58" (no more sure it was 58) , but page 58 was a false information, we had to continue on another page that I had time to discover in my armchair at home. I wanted to correct the mention "58" but I have never been allowed by the sector head. Happily engine do not often break and fly away.
2. We had no emergency procedure in case of dutch roll, but once we had dutch roll. Happily the captain had been taught in USA, could decide it was a dutch roll, and tried what had been said in USA "don't touch the control". Not perfect but it worked after great height loss

Last edited by Jetdriver; 29th Jun 2013 at 11:36.