PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AOPA the way forward, A Woomera perspective
Old 2nd Mar 2003, 08:56
tsnake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I applaud Woomera's comments and congratulate him on their clarity in summing up the present situation surrounding AOPA, the organisation has a very, very long way to go before they can hope to get my support and membership fees.

Until AOPA presents reasoned and properly researched positions on matters of crucial importance to the aviation community, demonstrates an ability to influence politicians at both a State and Federal level, respects confidences and demonstrates an ability to conduct an argument rather than shouting at people it doesn't agree with then, and only then, will they get my money.

And, in an effort to be helpful, perhaps AOPA might address the following matters of interest to the aviation community to demonstrate their ability to change and improve their standing in the community and maybe win back disaffected members.

1. A reasoned, properly researched and costed position on NAS, including critical analysis on the impact of the implementation of NAS on regional operators and private aircraft owners, an idea of how much NAS is going to cost or save the industry and an examination of any alternative airspace arrangements they may care to propose or may otherwise exist
2. Make a serious effort to keep at least Federal MPs in the information loop on aviation matters of importance to AOPA members. (Questions for AOPA - a. Are any Federal MPs paid-up members of AOPA? b. Does it supply copies of the AOPA magazine to Federal MPs? c. How many Federal MPs have or had pilots licences?
3. A coherent and legally defensible accounting policy and full disclosure of past accounting practices.

It has been my experience that to win the support of people those seeking that support must first demonstrate their ability and expertise before people will give them money.

The present and past performance of AOPA has not demonstrated this vital and simple principle to potential members

Disclaimer: I have never been a member of AOPA