PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do military helicopters crash rather than autorotate?
Old 29th Jun 2013, 07:54
Wirbelsturm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ralphmalph,

I don't believe any pilot 'plans' to exceed any limitations neither did I intimate such. The likelihood of transgressing a limit is always going to be greater when operating at a reduced margin toward that limit.

For example I broke the MRGB twin engine torque limit during a SAR pickup in the lake district many years ago. The weather was extreme with high winds and a pickup from 20m below a ridge line which was 90 degrees to the wind leading to extreme turbulence above the pickup site. Despite thorough planning and using smoke to show the demarcation line a sudden squall placed the aircraft below the turbulent boundary layer and the torque required to recover the rate of descent prior to impacting the hill was higher, transiently, than the twin engine torque limit.

No amount of planning could have predicted the situation.

The upshot was to return the aircraft to base, SOAP analysis of the MRGB and dropping of the mag plugs for inspection.

The danger occurs when crews accidentally transgress limits but then don't report them. Then other crews operating the aircraft after the event reap the repercussions, not the original crew.