PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Jetstar Pilot Cadet Program
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2013, 07:10
Flyboat North

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All the various conspiracy theories about Jetstar making money are simply incorrect. In fact the program costs the company money as they get more line training, mentored program over 18 months, and have to be based in Syd/Mel/Brisbane where the training resources are. Also more sims , line checks in that 18 month mentored period.

So I think a lot of people might think well the company has all these extra training costs etc, likely insurance costs, so for the first two years a junior FO wage is appropriate. Junior FO rates isn't a new idea, even Virgin do it.

Keep in mind the training course is 18 months, half the length of the shortest Uni degree(average start salary $55k) So I think many people would think that a 17 year old year 12 leaver who does an 18 month training course , 50% shorter than his Uni destined cohorts then gets paid 30% more than them - well it really doesn't look so bad.

Interesting the different stories - I have heard to date all have successfully checked to line. New idea so it will take a while to fine tune it.

Let's face it the GA/Regional background pilots at Tiger didn't exactly cover themselves in glory with their airmanship and flying standards

Qantas cadets - hard to see how they cost the company any extra $$.

Last edited by Flyboat North; 29th Jun 2013 at 07:13.