PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engineers slam Virgin on safety
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2003, 08:14
GoodToGo!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spot on LAYME

In the perfect aviation world pilots are employed to fly aircraft, LAME's are employed to carry out scheduled inspections and to rectify defects, these duties are commonly known as AIRCRAFT MAINTENANCE.
You inadvertently summed it up LAYME, The transit inspection just happens to no longer be a scheduled inspection

End of story.

Yandros,
While doing a walkaround on a 737, the engineer doing his walk around spotted that 2 of the N1 blades had overlapped and locked together. As the engine was windmilling quite quickly, I had to ask how the hell he could tell that, and I was shown by the engineer that where the blades were stuck together there was a very small gap and you could see it "flash" as they rotated past. Until then I would never have picked that up, how many other drivers of any rank would pick that up?
Indeed how many other engineers would have picked it up?
Not many. After all, in the transit inspection, where does it say to inspect the fanblades for any that are locked together. Probably in the same place where it says "Inspect every rivet for any that are loosening", etc etc etc. The transit inspection is/was a general visual inspection A shame a lot of engineers try to perform damn near a C-check everytime they come within 15 feet of the aircraft!

Airsupport,
Be careful on your use of emoticons, Your style is getting easier and easier to pick up! hehehe
Also isn't a LAME supposed to supervise the AME's under him not just assume the responsibility.? And don't forget an AME can basically be anyone who walks off the street and works on aircraft.

Oh gee I just watched another Dash startup and taxy out. What? No LAME doing a pre-flight? Nor was there a LAME on the headset! Aye Carumba! Whats the world coming to? Ah thats right its obviously not a real aircraft because its smaller than a 737. Fellas the precedent is already set. The argument will no doubt be lost.

Cheers
GTG!