PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - working rights in Italy
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2003, 06:37
sodapop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ciao Williams,
Here's the deal. I married an Italian 8 years ago and after finishing up my tour with USAF decided to try to stay in Italy. First, it can be done because I did it if you get my point.

The right to live and work in Italy is no problem if you are married to an Italian. The right to work for an airline is a little different as you must be accepted by ENGA (ente nazionale gente dell'aria) which is a government run professional association for pilots. If you are not an EU citizen this is difficult as the company hiring you must explain why they want to hire a non-EU citizen. In my case I was granted a one-year contract and after receiving my Italian citizenship (dual citizen rights) I was granted a normal contract. Call the embassy to see how you need to apply or have your girlfriend go to the questura and ask. Lots of paperwork and marca da bollo (10 euro each) to paste on the papers.

As for the license the process is changing but Italy is not yet JAA certified. Might be easier for you to go to England and convert your Aussie license there to a JAA. You could then be hired in Italy with your JAA License. I had to take written and practical Commercial exams in Italian and then once hired I upgraded to an ATPL. Now you must go through a TRTO (certified type rated training office) of which there are many around Italy to do your training for the ATPL.

As for getting hired here, as Mascalzone said, it helps to have a sponsor. Not too much movement right now in the market with the threat of war etc.

Send me a personal message if you want more info as I don't check this forum too often. Good luck mate.