PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Discrimination
Thread: Discrimination
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2003, 05:26
swish266

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Discrimination

I read Attitude. This made me reflect on my 9 yearlong expat career a bit. Been working on 3 continents since I left home and I always felt it outright. The Gods just did not like the fact that I do not come from a country with a major contribution to aviation (USA - the Wrights, UK - instrument flying, RSA - bush flying, Australia - flying cowboys, docs etc). Russia does not count, as there are no expat jobs available there.
I always had to be on the average 3 times better just to be equal with guys who speak English as a First Language. And still did not land the job.
I have to keep 2 logbooks. One in my language and a second one, in English... ICAO has more than 1 official language. At an interview one God tried to read my logbook upside down... I believe this was not ignorance but contempt as numbers are much more in percentage in any logbook than words...
Probably I am too subjective, but it is from sheer experience. And unlike many guys I cannot go back home to a job (any flying job for that matter - they are nonexistent anymore).
I would like to have some feedback about any discrimination in the industry based on race, origin, politics etc.