PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL - Barton or Blackpool?
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2013, 11:59
Yogi-Bear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Commuting by air????

Co-incidently, I spent two years commuting in a spam can between the north-west and Kent.
When you have about five years experience, an IMC rating and a suitable kite, it might work 75% of the time. That time is the nine summer months. You can forget it for the other three.

It's horrendously expensive compared with other modes, and that's fixed wing I'm talking about. Egg-beaters cost more by a factor of 2 or 3 and, as you've noted, can't cope with naff wx. I've calculated that I could have hired a chauffer driven limousine cheaper.

Others mention instrument approaches, IRs and other exotica. Unless your destination happens to be very convenient to equiped airfields, all the time saving is dissipated in subsequent surface travel. Oh, and you need a car at each end! What time does your originating airfield open for business; 9am? And so it goes on.

Frankly, unless there is water in the way or a cross country route without a decent highway, flying doesn't pay. But you will enjoy it mightily!
There are a few on Flyer who do it. Interogate them.

Last edited by Yogi-Bear; 28th Jun 2013 at 12:06.