PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Flights
Thread: First Flights
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2013, 09:53
mopardave

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts
Ah gents...........I love threads like this, but they make me dewie eyed! First flight December 1969, aged 5, in a Laker 707, Manchester to Tenerife. The trip to the flight deck will stay with me forever.......that's where I fell in love with flight. However, looking back, THE biggest mistake I ever made was not joining the ATC.......I wanted to, but none of my mates did so I put it on the back burner! Fast forward to dec 1984........OASC Biggin Hill.....I still have the rail warrant. Long story short, not good enough for pilot or nav........so they said, and I quote because these words will stay with me forever, "we think you're an excellent prospect for NCO aircrew.....have you considered ALM?"..........a job I knew nothing about! Second biggest mistake I ever made........and I quote, "no thanks, I'd like to try again for pilot!"

Returned to OASC Biggin Hill, July 1986, looking the biz in my Billy Ocean double breasted suit.......clutching my flying log book complete with my recent solo from Sherburn aero club (sent solo by Sqn ldr Ken Jackson of BBMF fame!), and didn't get offered a bloody sniff! For years after, I almost felt physical pain at my monumentally stupid decision during that first visit to OASC! Having read all your posts, and generally hanging around this forum like a bit of a saddo, it is clear to me now that I missed an amazing era of flying in the Royal Air Force. I did eventually get into uniform............a firefighters uniform! Not the same but I've had a great time in a job I love, but it's almost time to go now.........and I'm glad because, like the air force.........things just ain't the same anymore......the really good times are over for all of us..........but at least we HAD the good times. I'm afraid things are just waaaaay too serious these days!
Apologies for the thread drift and massive respect to all you guys who took the Queens shilling.........you did, and indeed do, a brilliant job despite the politicians!
Rant over.........and I'll get my coat!
BTW flew on Concorde just before the Paris crash.......so glad I did......wouldn't have missed it for the world!
Stay safe
Dave