PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Work in Africa with SA CPL vs FAA
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2013, 09:50
Marshall300

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you guys for your responses. To set things straight I come from Russia, but there's no way I can work here because of the local medical which wants you to be almost an astronaut to hold a commercial license. That's why I ended up with the Africa plan as there's nowhere else I can go looking for a job as a low-timer... For the past few years I'd been living in the US on a student visa which was indeed a big hassle to get, so if you guys say it wouldn't make much of a difference which license I'm gonna get, I'd prefer to go with South Africa.

BgVlad, can you please elaborate on converting to FAA. I heard it was easy to convert from foreign CPL to FAA PPL, but converting to FAA CPL required sitting through all of their exams and checkrides which meant another couple of months in the school and decent amount of money. Was this recently changed? Can you describe the whole process?

Oh, and sure I wasn't talking about the 737 multi engine time, I was just saying I'd like to put more effort into multi engine rating on whichever aircraft my potential school might have. Which brings me to the next question... I'm looking for a school with somewhat relaxed atmosphere, you know without uniforms and such, that's why I had to cross off the schools like 43, FTC and so far I stopped on Virginia flight school in Durban, although they still haven't replied me back with the quotes on expenses. Some old pprune posts dating back to 2010 state this was a very good school with great personnel but I couldn't find any up-to-date information on it. What do you guys think about this school as of now?