PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Relief and the W crew
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2013, 03:00
White None

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W Patterns CAN be fine

Having done the W Pattern commute a while back, here is my take. If you elect for whatever reason to do it, it IS entirely possible to be rested for all 4 flights. What is NOT (usually) possible is to have a full on life at BOTH ends of the patterns and still be OK. I tried to do this initially and there was a price to pay in terms of performance. Whilst it is wrong of those who say outright "W's are a safety issue", it does behove those who exercise this opportunity to strike a balance. It's referred to as a "lifestyle" roster which allows you to achieve an out of work lifestyle, so some sacrifice somewhere else may have to be accepted. I NEVER expected any favours, (although got a lot - especially I must say from my American friends).

Goat: I simply don't believe that you suffer any more, (what you perceive to be), 'Rest Injustice' from commuting Capt's to non-commuters. Both flavors can make demands you may not 'feel' equitable, both groups have the odd selfish guy. In my experience most commuters are very aware of fatigue as they have to deal with it more. And finally - MTFU!

Last edited by White None; 28th Jun 2013 at 03:01.