PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Discrimination
Thread: Discrimination
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2013, 00:39
GreenKnight121

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For me, at star rank, one's actual medical/surgical skills are basically meaningless... what is needed is administrative and command ability, and a general knowledge of everything dealing with delivery of medical services.

It is here where senior nurses outshine doctors in every respect... in every hospital in the western world the doctors see patients and ply their (usually) narrowly-focused specialty skills, while nurses do the 90%+ of everything else that needs to be done.

Senior nurses oversee the junior staff, organize the wards, ensure supplies are stocked, make sure medications are properly administered (to include correcting doctors' sometimes lethal oversights), schedule use of equipment/rooms/surgical theatres... you get the point. Nurses deal with multiple doctors daily, and are involved with more patients per day than any doctor ever sees.

Doctors see their patients, handle the treatment of their patients, study new developments in their narrow specialty, and do little else.

Disclaimer: during my childhood my family was close friends with several nurses in both clinics and major hospitals... and two of my three nieces are nurses in hospitals (one in the pediatric emergency department in a Des Moines, Iowa hospital and the other as a general charge nurse in a Flint, Michigan hospital.