PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2013, 21:36
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Danny,

Your latest brings memories of my Ground Engineer course on the C130 to mind. Being an Airframe Fitter by trade, the intricacies of the Omega navigation system left me somewhat nonplussed! The six of us on our course comprised, four airframe, an engine man and only one "fairy" (Avionics). At the end of one evening, studying the Omega Nav system (we needed to know what it had to do, how it did it and then the boxes involved) our "fairy" told us all to report to the line squadron that evening. He had booked an aircraft on the ground for 2 hours, gave us a one hour talk on the bits and bobs, and then had managed to "borrow" a Nav for a further hour to explain what he wanted from the kit. The next day we did the exam and the lowest score was recorded by our "fairy", 96 %. Another example of helping fellow course members through.

PS. We took the Nav to Lyneham Bowl (the only legal drinking place on base) and thanked him properly. Your story just brought all that back. Sorry to digress, from thread (yet again), its just that its funny how the RAF seems to have been "fixed in aspic" for years.

Keep it going Danny, its compulsive reading for my family.

Smudge