PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Flights
Thread: First Flights
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2013, 20:13
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are some excellent memories of "first flights" here, and, may I say many that bring back a few memories for me. Thank goodness for the Air Training Corps, I may well have ended up being a farm labourer. Danny, your experiences and recollections are well covered in " Gaining a Pilots Brevet in WW2.... ", thanks for your input. My own experience is that some of us have that first flight, and, become consumed with aircraft. I was happy just to be allowed to become a Halton Apprentice, and then an RAF Tradesman. I never thought of flying when I joined the service, but, as a result of my ATC experience, never missed the opportunity to act as , ballast, self loading freight, a pair of eyes out of the window, someone to fill in your Flight test report sir. Blimey, I can't remember the excuses I used to " get a trip", Maybe volunteering to be the "rescue dummy" for 84 Squadron at Akrotiri in 1973 was a bit dodgy. To this day I believe that whilst flying for some can be seen purely as a way of making money, I will always look upon my flying experiences as great times. Not sure if I mentioned it before but my first solo, in an ASK21 at RAFGSA Centre Bicester, was probably my greatest experience. I think it was around 20 minutes after landing that I realised I had actually flown an aircraft as its Captain, crew etc etc. I know chaps, get a life, but it was big for me, and cost some beer.

As a follow up, how about some of you Fast Jet/Single seat drivers sharing your first experiences at the point of the spear. I couldn't imagine being sent solo in a Spitfire, Meteor, Swift, Hunter, Lightning or Typhoon. Likewise, how is a dual crew aircraft first solo accomplished ? Be interesting to hear from some Navs/WSO's (did we have such animals ?).

Smudge

Last edited by smujsmith; 27th Jun 2013 at 20:51.