PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Progression pay hit
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2013, 20:04
theboywide

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We need to be smarter on our increment system and start paying for experience and qualifications instead of on time basis.

Why is a Flt Lt OCU instructor paid the same as a Flt Lt Test Pilot and a Flt Lt front line copilot? There is no financial incentive for bettering oneself without getting promoted. I know there is PA spine, but by the time that kicks in highly qualified guys will have been marching time on Flt Lt 9 for a good 6 or 7 years.
In my opinion either PA spine should commence much earlier or some thought should be given to a qualification based pay structure to give an incentive to people that aspire for flying excellence and not that extra stripe.

I love the Air Force, always have, but what the bean counters have missed is that its gone from being a way of life to being a job. Every little chip at the pay/rates/standards/working times etc etc means that Joe Bloggs feels more and more devalued and the extra hours that went in for love of the job, in the knowledge that he is being looked after, are a thing of the past.
The RAF has got my commitment having seen the better days, but it needs to start considering how they can keep the new generation of experience now.