PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2013, 19:54
Killface

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We can agree to disagree here. my point is simply this. you can't carve this program up without killing it. its all or none variant wise. because the navy and marines wont buy the A, if they don't buy the A the price skyrockets and the death spiral (or in the Uks case lack of the aircraft they want) makes everyone leave and buy other things.

and my second point is simply that I believe more JSFs will be produced overall, if the B/C variants are left in so that the Marines, Navy, italy, and UK buy the aircraft (along with other nations that might buy them in the future), thus keeping the price lower, with the lower price the USAF will get more in the long run, and international partners will stay in and also purchase the aircraft. so big picture more JSFs of all type to multiple countries even if the order is not in the original amount predicted.

I would rather have 1200 JSFs spread across 3 services with international partners having even more, than 900 in one american air arm. whether you think the marines or navy need their own air force or not is an argument for somewhere else, when the poo hits the fan you need jets for the big show whether they say "Marines" or "Navy" on the side is irrelevant and high end aircraft, like F-18s and A-6s before them, and especially prowlers, have been used in large strategic campaigns and not just to support the grunts. F-35s will be far more useful in the grand campaign than harriers ever were.