PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Aircraft 'Emergency' Landing
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2013, 19:14
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tids – agreed.

To sort out the 'Mildura' issues is going to be a big job. Clearly there are major corporate, crew, meteorological and on the fringes, legislative issues. Although I feel the 'regs' are blameless this time – the Australian fuel policy is useful, flexible and with a little common sense tweaking works fine, for grown ups capable of taking responsibility and allowed to make decisions, although it does expect that the crews can look at the presented forecast, make an informed decision and order an extra few, discretionary drops of fuel – (to be sure, to be sure). Or to bugger off somewhere else before things get too 'tight'.

Once again, there are deep issues involved, BoM practice, methodology and policy. Corporate pressures, operational policy, pilot training, human factors; etc. in fact, all the parts of a crash puzzle except without body parts melded with aircraft parts, for the third time now. (Fuel x 3 + Weather x 3).

Mildura is a serious, but subtle event. Now, can our compromised ATSB sort it out before centuries end?. Will the report have any value?. Is the political will, savvy and interest required to make the recommendations stick there?. Or will we just end up with the 'company has amended their policy' etc; or, two crews re sitting their ATPL Met exams a' la the Chambers system. Or perhaps, McComic will just blame the whole shemozzle on the ills of society, con yet another minister and leave the spin to those who know how best to do it. One thing the Senate has achieved though, there will no disgustingly obvious cover up; not this time.

I don't know which concerns me the most: but close to the top of the list must be that two, not one, but two separate airlines finished up, operationally compromised, landing in less than ideal conditions, at Mildura. A foggy day should end with multiple complaints to management due to delays, missed connections, changes to crew rosters and a higher fuel bill; not with a full on declared fuel emergency and Brace, brace, brace.

Winter fog in Australia is not 'unusual', there are a few options available; delay, divert, hold and divert. All corporately unpalatable and operationally problematic; but, rock solid safe. A skipper has all of those options available, fully supported by law. The 'company' policy does not signify.

One concern, worthy of some consideration is 'crew attitude' and whether the ATSB has the balls to tackle the subliminal pressures to 'be on schedule', minimise fuel uplift and yet manage to not compromise or embarrass the company. Why did both crews not throw on 'gas for Mum'?. The little alarm bells of experienced crew, going south, early morning, in winter with the ambient weather conditions should ring, and a discreet, prudent 30 or even a big fat 60 minutes could be 'smuggled' inboard without adverse operational comment. Did two, not one, well fed, rested crews not 'see' the possibility of fog and take appropriate measures, I doubt it.. "One is unfortunate, two begins to look like carelessness". I believe we are allowed to ask why, just in case the nanny state or corporate dogma has managed to brainwash or bully a more politically correct generation of pilots, without denigrating the crews involved.

Three incidents, no bodies. Lucky country ? you bet.

Brace, brace, brace.

Where's me old tin hat.

Last edited by Kharon; 27th Jun 2013 at 20:07. Reason: Oh my, A has finaly learned to read, bravo. Check # 106.