PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 26th Jun 2013, 23:55
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nick's disallowance motion of CAO48.1

The soap opera continues in the other house, where apparently we're now swapping back to the sociopath for PM...remember this from last estimates:
Senator XENOPHON: Further to that, there is widespread concern amongst pilots about the flight-time duty regulations, the relatively recent regulations, and the risk they pose to aviation safety. I understand that these concerns have been put to you, but the reports I have had back are that CASA, and you in particular, have been I think the word is dismissive of them. Why is it the case that the pilots I have spoken to, some very senior pilots with many thousands of hours of experience, have expressed to me that they are at the coalface, and they say that there is a real issue in terms of these new regulations? For instance, I am told that in certain circumstances under the new regulations CASA allows two pilots to be on duty for 14 hours and to be at the controls for 10 hours. I am told that the science indicates 12 to 13 hours maximum duty in ideal conditions and that fatigue risk increases substantially beyond 16 hours awake. If there is a delay in the flight through weather or whatever—many pilots I have spoken to, including representatives of pilots groups, are incredibly concerned about the new flight-time limitation rules.

Mr McCormick: I will ask our Executive Manager, Standards, to give you a bit of background on who we had involved in this process of the rule making of the KO84.

Senator XENOPHON: But can you understand why some people –

Mr McCormick: I will say one thing: I am not dismissive of complaints of anyone. I am certainly not dismissive of pilot complaints. Having been a long-time airline pilot myself, I know what fatigue means.

Senator XENOPHON: I know that—with many hours—but why is it that pilots tell me that you feel that you are dismissive of their complaints?

Mr McCormick: We have had two sorts of feedback on these rules: one from the industry, saying they are not hard enough, and from the pilots' side we have had them saying they are too hard. That is always the balance we have to strike. I will ask Mr Boyd to give you a background on where we are. Quick.

Senator XENOPHON: Mr McCormick, most flying passengers would rather take the word of the pilots than that of the bean counters.

Mr McCormick: I would not disagree with you.

Senator XENOPHON: The pilots feel ignored.

Mr Boyd: As far as I am aware, the only feedback we have from pilots, for example, on the fatigue regulations is to do with the representation of the pilots' groups on the safety action groups that we have in the regulations for consultation around fatigue risk management systems.

Senator XENOPHON: Who represent thousands of pilots.

Mr Boyd: Indeed.

Senator XENOPHON: They are saying that these rules stink and that there is a real risk in terms of fatigue and with it aviation safety. So why would you not put a lot of weight on what the pilots are saying?
Mr Boyd: Senator, the feedback we are getting is not that the rules stink, as you put it.

Senator XENOPHON: But it is that they do pose a risk to aviation safety.
Mr Boyd: The only feedback we have from the pilots association is about that particular issue.

Senator XENOPHON: And will you be acting on that particular issue?

Mr Boyd: We have replied to the association to say that we are taking the ICAO approach, and that is what we have taken all the way through this development of the fatigue regulations.

Senator XENOPHON: Can you provide us with details of documents with respect to that?

Mr Boyd: Absolutely.
Senator XENOPHON: Can you provide those documents as a matter of urgency, because there may be a disallowance motion that might go down that path; I am not sure. Mr McCormick, I will put a number of questions on notice. In relation to the recent inquiry, I think you told the inquiry that you instigated the Chambers report. Is that right?
Well according to today's Dynamic Red Sen X has followed through with this proposed disallowance motion:
4 – Senator Xenophon – Disallowance of the Civil Aviation Order 48.1 Instrument 2013 [F2013L00628]
This motion should be happening very soon (around 12:30-13:00)and can be viewed here..
Parliament of Australia}

Postponed till tomorrow..(hmm forgot the Senate were sitting an extra day)

Smart politics on the last sitting day of this Parliament! Vote 1 for Nick

Oh and by the way Albo retains the top job!

Last edited by Sarcs; 27th Jun 2013 at 03:11.