PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2013, 23:09
Killface

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Because it is effectively 3 different aircraft now,
It is? I thought they were fairly common?

all with different problems that are eating cash like you read about.
yes they are, but the billions have already been spent. there seems to be a need for these aircraft you aren't seeing.

1 variant means only 1 spares line, 1 supply line etc. Though, I'm by no means suggesting it would cancel out the extra unit costs of an overall numbers cut.
that is the whole goal of the program though, commonality. its replacing the prowler, the hornet, the harrier, and the viper. so the marines with no F-35B would just switch to the super hornet/growler? the navy would go all growler/super bug? is that the plan? I'm just trying to see the logic

Jesus wept. That's not what I'm saying at all!!!! Where on earth are you getting the idea that I'm suggesting a higher total is purchased!?
relax, you don't need to be rude. I probably got that impression when you said:

The coming choice seems to be between all 3 variants being produced in far fewer numbers, or the A variant being the sole survivor in moderate numbers.
Therefore, let's imagine the US government decides that only 1200 can be afforded, leaving the Air Force sub 1000 F-35As.
panic

Given the choice of having an all Air Force, all F35A fleet of 1200 aircraft, at the expense of the marines stealth amphib capability ~ or ~ 3 seperate fleets totalling 1200 aircraft that leave the Air Force with far fewer aircraft than it is happy with, then the Air Force is obviously going to have a very strong argument in favour of canning the most expensive variant, which also happens to fill the least necessary role!
The B or C (whichever one they picked this week) is necessary to the royal navy, even if you don't think so. its necessary to the marines, and yes even the navy. you are seeing this from a completely american perspective with the basis that if the USAF doesn't get its toys everyone else has to give theirs up. apparently the USAF being short of F-35s is a tragedy and everyone else being short of f-35s is a minor inconvenience.

you are experiencing the jsf blues. its a common affliction that happens when you discover that a tri service aircraft isn't what you want because it hurts the service you think is most important. the only cure is a time machine back to the mid 1990s, before someone thought the whole thing up. what you are advocating is a JSF that isn't a JSF. but a single fighter for air forces, with the navies of the world and marines buying other things. thus not a joint program. if you think the JSF is suddenly going to become a single service fighter in the interest of saving, you are far far too late.

by the time your "OMG we only have 1000!!" problem comes up the JSF will have probably been in service for 10 years. in which case I guess the USAF can try stealing the Bs and Cs for themselves. I'm sure they would love em. you may well be right someday, but too late to do anything about it.

Last edited by Killface; 26th Jun 2013 at 23:24.