PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesia p2F for low timer is back!!!!
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2013, 18:03
TheExpatPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FactCheck_Indonesia, a warm welcome to the aviation industry for you. Now, for some Facts_RealWorld...

In this market, there simply aren't any to be had if you don't have the hours.
Really? Ok, so would you be willing to relocate to the back parts of Africa to get your first start? There is always a way no matter how hard it gets or how many responsibilities your have back home. You need to realise that this industry, like others, goes through peaks and troughs. Patience and persistence is essential if you're going to succeed here. Big sacrifices need to be made.

So I took the proceeds of nearly four years of 9-to-5 drudgery to do what I felt I had to do to ever get anywhere in aviation.
That's fantastic and great to see, but join the club. Try living in a shipping container in the desert starting off flying 1 hour a week working 2 or 3 other jobs to survive, or digging trenches on a working farm to only fly a handful of hours around the property per week. These situations are not unique. It took a lot of people I know 4+ years to get their first start on anything after flying school.

I don't like P2F either
All the usual step-stone jobs are blocked by people who have been in them for years waiting for someone higher up the food chain to retire.
You're missing the point. There is a tried and tested pathway in aviation that has worked for decades. Experienced pilots moving up the chain onto more complicated and high performance aircraft they can handle. By following the path you have chosen, you're not only leap frogging the system, but you're helping create a culture that is detrimental to our industry by compromising experience in the cockpit of sophisticated aircraft for personal gain. (And on a side note, not to mention peeved a lot of people off in the process that have worked much harder than you). The bigger picture MUST prevail. The fact you're getting paid helps your cause somewhat. If you were P2F AND working for free you would be helping to destroy world wide pilot terms and conditions, again for personal gain. However that's another can of worms.

There simply aren't any opportunities out there for low timers. I did what I had to do, and I worked hard for it. Don't you dare judge me.
Unfortunately some things aren't worth the risk, short term gain without looking at the bigger picture. You will be judged for taking this path. As a VERY small-worlded industry, be prepared to get used to it.

Happy landings everyone and keep safe!