PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Project Zero - AgustaWestland Revolutionary demonstrator revealed :)
Old 26th Jun 2013, 17:20
Graviman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AHS vertiflite article

https://vtol.org/vertiflite/project-zero/index.html#/2/

Hmmm, interesting - I especially like the bit about it using a diesel engine genset to power the fan motors! Does anyone know whether ORAL based the powertrain on the Wilsch WAM140 or the Austro AE300?

Looks to me like they are using the fan to pull air past the wings, so expect reasonable performance at low speeds with at least hover capability (disk loading will still be high). Those fans will be able to reduce rpm in cruise to make for very efficient pusher propellors without too many limitations imposed by tip speed. I wonder what cruise/dash speed they are aiming for?

Of course the real question is how well does it cope with engine failure (electric motors and batteries can go wrong too - see 787 experience). Those small lift fans will make for very high autorotation descent rates, and there is still going to be that velocity region where it is neither a helicopter nor an aeroplane.

Actually, the thing that does excit me is that the engineers have successfully flown an aircraft that has no mechanical transmission or swash plate. This technology is likely to find it's way into all sorts of other VTOL projects if it proves itself to be at least as reliable as other fly-by-wire technologies.

Mart

Last edited by Graviman; 26th Jun 2013 at 17:37.