PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Discrimination
Thread: Discrimination
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2013, 16:26
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Unbelievable! Comments from short sighted bigots who seem to have no interest in the development and future success of the RAF.
Damned right - I have no interest in seeing the RAF develop through positive discrimination at the expense of ability. I want to see it develop by the best people getting the right jobs. And if that means, at some point down the line, that a pilot is beaten to a plum job as a VSO by a better non-flyer, or a nurse is beaten to a job by a better doctor then so be it.

As it is, this has story is being peddled during a slow news week as nothing more than a case of sexism to make a political point. The only problem being that reading the press coverage as it is, her argument of I'm a female nurse and I've been a Gp Capt for so much longer than the Gp Capt doctor fatally undermines her case as it goes against the principles of best individual for the job at the time with an implicit suggestion that promotion should be time based.

Without knowing the background of the other individuals involved and how their performance was judged by the relevant board, it is very difficult to make a balanced judgement, not something we are likely to get from a rag that wants to sell copy through sensational stories on a quiet week. But there is absolutely nothing short sighted about pointing out the weaknesses in her case as published or in aguing that the best performer should get the job.